Sunday, June 9, 2013

Toronto Restaurant Signs.

I've had a nostalgic fondness for signs as far back as I can remember. When I was eight my father worked as a sign painter for a small chain of stores. At times he let me be in the studio while he worked. I loved to watch him mix the paints. He used special brushes made from real hair that I wasn't allowed to touch. I remember how smoothly his hand would flow over the paper as he did the hand lettering. This combined with our many road trips down to Florida and my fondness for signs grew stronger. I saw many hotel and restaurant signs while sitting for hours in the car on these trips and my love for neon was born. 

I started with small paintings of Toronto restaurant signs and went on to do larger ones. These are available at Art Interiors.