Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Inspiration is Everywhere.


"Where does the inspiration for your art come from?" This is a question I hear often and is a very easy one for me to answer. From everywhere. Like many artists, I seem to be working all the time. Indeed, it's just the way it is. I'll see a beautiful sunset and immediately take note of the colors for future use in a landscape.

Beautiful sunset

Going about my daily routine I stop often and take note of the small things, The way the late afternoon light shines in through the windows, the everyday still life created by dishes stacked in the cupboard, my first coffee of the day, in my favorite mug as it sits steaming on the counter.

Today's breakfast of Greek yogurt, frozen blueberries, almonds, walnuts, ground flax seed and cinnamon.

Color inspires me immensely and I find myself seeking it out everywhere. My favorite hangouts are art supply stores and paint stores. Gathering the paint chips and making combinations of shades and hues, so thrilling. Visiting sites devoted to color in the evening hoping they will make their way into my dreams.


Travel is so inspiring to me. Long trips out of the country to new destinations are fabulous, but I also find so much inspiration just walking around in the city. Try this next time you're out rushing about. View it all as if you were a tourist in your own city. Everything will feel fresh and new as if you're seeing it for the first time.


Nature is so full of inspiration. Being outside. The sky, ever changing. The beach whether it's an ocean or lake. Being on the water is wonderful. The seasons, each one inspires me in it's own way.


I must not forget to mention music, books, looking at art, magazines, theater, movies and some television, friends, animals, kindness, I could go on and on and on. So you see for me inspiration is in everything. Where do you find inspiration?

*A special thank you to Helen. Thanks so much for our talk yesterday. You've inspired me to keep on with the blog. Your words were most inspiring. :-)